Sunday, June 2, 2013

Weeks 1-3 in the NICU

My boys have been in NICU for 3 weeks so far.  They have impressed the entire staff, the Dr, and Nik and I.  In these past 3 weeks, my boys are breathing on their own, gaining weight, are breast feeding and bottle feeding for three of their feedings, are improving their temperature regulation, and throw tantrums.

Dayton went from hating to be touched because of his bruising and swelling to passing out from comfort as soon as he is held. He loves it.  Reid is gaining weight faster than Dayton, so we think he is already competing with his brother. :)  We have done a mini photo-shoot with them, and they were able to meet each other since their birth. 

The NICU staff had a horrible night the night these babies were born.  They went from not having any babies to three, and the third didn't make it.  All I know is that the mother was in a car accident.  The chaplain was called in to help the staff cope with the loss of that baby, and to be prepared to lose mine.  For some reason my babies made it.  My heart goes out to that mother... I cannot even begin to imagine how she feels. 

The NICU staff knows us well by now, and our boys.  It has been very hard to see all the other babies come and go while mine stay.  Almost everyday I see parents dressed up with car seat in hand ready to take their baby home.  I cannot wait for our turn. 

This catches us up to current date. I am at home, waiting for another hour before I can go see Reid and Dayton.

The following to posts will be pictures of each baby for the first three weeks in NICU. Please enjoy watching my babies grow up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment